Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tomorrow is NOT promised


On our way to dinner tonight, Jenn (my wife) and I saw a pretty bad wreck.  There were a couple fire trucks, an ambulance and a few cop cars.  We couldn't see everything, but Jenn said that she saw the jaws of life being used.  NOT GOOD.  We prayed for the victims and the emergency workers in the drive through of the McDonald's and a thought crossed our minds:  Just a few minutes earlier, we had been debating about where to go for dinner.  That COULD just have easily been us trapped in a twisted hunk of metal.  Honestly, part of me wished it was me because I know I am saved (not because I am good or anything, but I know that I am secured by God's grace). 

It's scenes and events like these that should really make us think about our time here on earth.  James rightfully compares life to a vapor that is here for a while and then disappears.  It only confirms for me all the more that we have got to take our life here, both our hardships and successes, with a grain of salt and realize how incredibly insignificant they are in comparison to the breadth of eternity.  I'm not talking about the kind of response that we all have when we see something like this, because, let's face it: we have all seen something like this and then say "Wow, makes you think." and five minutes later we are watching TV back in our comfortable little american world.  

We need to REALLY take it to heart and let the ominous reality of eternity, the afterlife and the righteous judgement of Christ and do something while we still have the chance.  I don't think any of us want to come to Christ when we die, if we indeed are saved, and tell Christ we weren't helping the poor or witnessing to the nations because a really good football game was on that day or there was a sale at Macy's.  How shameful that would be to say to our maker?

Let's get out there and serve our Lord folks.  Let's stop talking.  Let's start doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment