Friday, October 7, 2011

Reply to All...Do'h!





I had an interesting situation at work today.  A female coworker sent out a joke email to the office (with no ill intent) that had a bunch of random charts and a couple of them very midly sexist (like: "Husbands, you know something's wrong when she says nothing's wrong.").  In fact, they were so mild that every other female in the office (my wife included) thought they were funny and liked them.  I "responded to all" (That usually precedes a bad situation...and this one was no different) and said that I found one especially humorous.

One female coworker who I have worked with for five years replied essentially saying that she was upset with how often emails like this are circulated and that they are just reinforcing stereotypes.  My first thought was "Chill out, it's a joke".  But then I started to think about it: How would I feel if people started circulating e-mails that started taking shots at Christ, Christians or the Bible?  I would be LIVID.

I reflected on the situation and started to think about the old tried and true phrase "What would Jesus do?".  Well first of all, he wouldn't have sinned as I did.  Secondly, he would have thought first about the feelings of this woman who is precious and made in the image of God.  I decided to respond and apologize and the situation was resolved peacefully. 

I think erring on the side of caution in cases like these is the way to go.  We shouldn't be afraid to offend others with the core message of the gospel (when done with love), but we should not go out of our way to offend others just because we can.

Let us constantly be trying to be reflecting Christ for His glory and the salvation of others.

On a side note, please pray for my humility.  Pride is such a hard sin to battle.

God bless you all!

Kneel

No comments:

Post a Comment